Sunday, November 26, 2006

Travel and Spain

United 908 is the largest airplane that I have ever been on. They gave everyone headphones, and there were little TVs on the back of every seat, with many channels in many languages to choose from. Because I was flying into Amsterdam, all of the announcements that they gave were in both Dutch and English. Dutch sounds like gibberish with an Irish accents.
I did not get to see the ocean from the plain, because it was the middle of the night. The sun did not rise until I was over Ireland. But I saw the Irish sea from the sky. It looked like a grey and white marble. It took me a long time to figure out what the waves were, because they did not look like they were moving from the sky, they just looked like white spots all over the sea.
Amsterdam is one of the flattest places that I have ever seen. And there is water everywhere. It is very pretty. The airport was huge, and they sold alcohol at every store in it. You could buy magazines and alcohol, chocolate and aclohol, and fruit drinks and alcohol! It was kind of crazy.
What had started as the snuffles at home developed into a full blown cold on the plane. I had to have tissue with me at all times, because my nose was inclined to run down to my chin. My ears also hurt horribly during the takeoffs and landings on the second flight, though on the one to Amsterdam they just popped like normal.
When I got into Spain I was a little confused about where to go, because every airport is set up differently. But I got my liggage without a hassle, and Dave met me atthe airport as planned. He brought me to see his host family, and then he took me to my hostel. It's pretty nice, though it takes a lot of walking to get there. The train only takes you to the bottom of the mountain, and from there you have to hike about a mile up the mountainside into the park (which is very beautiful. I was informed that there are wild boars in there, and the trees are amazing) to get to the hostel.
While wandering around downtown Spain I saw Las Ramblas, which is a plaze in the middle of Barcelona, where there are lots of merchans selling things from booths and performers on the streats. There was a person who painted pictures with spray paint and sold them. There were also several people dressed up as statues and standing perfectly still, and if you put money in their cups, they would move. One person was dressed up as atlas, and had a huge globe on his back.
Well, that's all for now, I'll send you another update once I've seen more. Oh, did you know that the Spanish word for "cold" is "constipado"?

I love you all,
Madeleine

P.S. Dad, I'm having a little trouble getting money out of an ATM. Do you know what the problem might be?

5 Comments:

Blogger Booger Patrol said...

That is so cool that you're in Spain. They have those statue guys in Chicago too, I wonder if they have a union.

5:43 PM  
Blogger gwen said...

Oh man, I am so jealous! Your hostel sounds incredible. It must be tiring to have to hike up there after a long day, but it sounds like one of those fortreses where you will learn the secret ninja arts once you have made the perilous ascent...

6:26 PM  
Blogger falcons said...

Madeleine, It sounds wonderful! I hope that you can figure out the ATM problem. Please let us know immediately if you can't and we can figure out how to wire you some money. Take lots of pictures! I love you. Mom

10:24 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

Say hello to a Spaniard for me.

9:22 PM  
Blogger gwen said...

"I've known too many spaniards"

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home