Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Comic Book Geekery: Ordinary Victories by Manu Larcenet


I'm really loving this book. It's about a photographer living in Paris who is struggling with a creative drought. It's all very well written, but what I truly love about it is the art style. It reminds me of Bill Watterson with Calvin & Hobbes or Hergé with Tintin in the way it juxtaposes detailed and beautifully colored backgrounds with very stylized, cartoony characters. The way the French countryside is drawn is amazing:



Click for biggerized pictures

4 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

That's very pretty.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing. The top ollustration reminded me of that Van Gogh with the hay bales and the enormous grassy field. So much energy. I also liked getting on the Clay Rewiew and not seeing another eye.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

beautiful drawings, is it pen and ink? or colored pencils, I can't tell in the second drawing

9:49 AM  
Blogger Booger Patrol said...

It's pen and ink on the lines, with the coloring (I believe) done digitally. One of the cool things about the coloring is there are no gradients or anything fancy, it's all done in a very old fashioned comic book style with solid colors, but they make it look so expressive.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home