Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sour Dough Bread

Matt, this is for you. I have to go in to read our bedtime story in about two minutes (Carry On Mr. Bowditch). So here is the sour dough starter recipe...it works well for me as every two monthes or so I have to toss my old batch because I have neglected it for too many days (more than 3).

3 teaspoons yeast
2 cups water
2 1/2 cups flour

Use a glass 1/2 gallon jar or medium sized or plastic bowl.
Sprinkle yeast onto water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Stir the flour into the yeast mixture using a wooden spoon.
Cover with a dish towel, ferment at room temperatue for 3-5 days.
Stir 2 times a day.


Put your bowl or jar over a plate or something because on the first day especially it has a tendency to overfow.


I will put the actual bread recipe on the blog in a couple of days. I should be done with the story by then.
Mom

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
I've wondered how to do it for a long time. I will try it this weekend.

3:20 PM  
Blogger gwen said...

Mom- matt and rosie have a batch of starter working away on the counter.. I can hardly wait to eat it!

9:59 PM  
Blogger falcons said...

So here is the recipe for the bread:
31/2 c flour
2t salt
1t yeast
1 1/2 c starter
2/3-3/4 c lukewarm water
Mix and then knead.
Let rise fr 1 1/2 hours.
Punch down shape into one large or two smaller loaves and put onto a greased cookie sheet and let it rise for 1 hour.
Put a pan of water 1 1/2 inches deep onto the bottom rack of your oven.
Preheat oven to 450...when it reaches temperature lower the heat to 425....This causes the water to steam.
Place the bread in the oven.
Cook for 30-35 minutes.
Let it cool a bit before you slice! Enjoy
(To keep your starter going add 1 c flour and 1 c lukewarm water to it after you use it for the bread. You must use your starter at least three times a week to keep it fresh. If you can't, just refridgerate it and let it warm up to room temperature before you use it!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Onie said...

Thanks for posting this--I was hoping I could resurrect my batch!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home