Friday, October 09, 2009

World Travel

So we are going to have family vacation night on Saturdays. We are picking a country to visit, going to the library for a travel video, books and maybe even a language tape, followed by a trip to buy some food to make a treat from that country. It is going to be awesome! One of the best things about having small children is that you can make them do things. Matthew is very interested in geography right now (and all things map, globe, and chart related). During dinner last night, Matt and I couldn't answer a lot of his questions even with the help of a globe. We ended up doing a Wikipedia search on Madagascar (all we know was that there were lemurs and that is was separated from Africa a long time ago) and were blown away. I wasn't even sure it was a country. Who knew it was once a pirate utopia and is now a semi-presidential representative democratic republic? So far Matthew has nominated China; Markie prefers England, earth, or Minneapolis; Matt is interested in New Zealand and South America; and I'd like to see some African countries. Any suggestions or travel tips, guys?

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

Spain
Sam
France-Paris
Sam
Germany-old castles
Ben
France-Paris-Eifel Tower
Ben
I would recommend some cool homemade transportation with cool cut out pictures. I've got a lot of old National Geographics with very cool photos. You're making food? Can I come?
Mom

2:00 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

Hey is that cool enough?

2:01 PM  
Blogger gwen said...

Very cool. Although, while looking at the globe, I realized that the majority of my cultural and geographic knowledge is focused on the very tiny area of Europe, so I am hoping to branch out a little.

2:07 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I think that we need to consult Callie. She is definately not Eurocentric.

3:30 PM  
Blogger jenny said...

I think that we need to consult Callie. She is definately not Eurocentric.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Papua New Guinea. Cool jungles.
http://www.allcountries.org/photos/papua_new_guinea/index.html

7:41 AM  
Blogger gwen said...

We went to China and it was really fun. Long flight, though.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

Try somewhere South or Central American. Maybe Brazil or Argentina?

Also, Caribbean Islands like Haiti or Jamaica would probably be interesting.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Emma said...

You could take a trip up a mountain!

You could scale the Himalayas or any tall mountain of note. You could study the people and plant life and animal life on the mountain, You could learn what to do if you get lost, like a survival situation. And you could have a base camp, you could make hard tack or homemade granola bars( those can be really good).

I bet it would be fun for the little boys, there's a lot of room for make-believe with mountain climbing, and I bet they could learn a lot if they studied what it takes to really climb a mountain.

6:32 AM  
Blogger gwen said...

Great ideas! We will have to hit PNG - I know people that do work there. The mountain idea sounds llike so much fun - maybe mount kilamanjaro? The Carribean islands would be awesome. I don't know anything about them. I've been thinking about Mali for next week (I have friends who work there too and they love the country), but I'll have to ask the boys.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home