Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The 300

Well, I went to see The 300 today, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I know it's a huge cliché for a big nerd who's a fan of the source material to nitpick any adaptation to death and complain about it, so I'll keep this short. What I did like about the movie was the amazing visuals - they really captured visually some of my favorite panels from the graphic novel. Where the movie failed the most spectacularly was the addition of a b-plot following Leonidas' wife back in Greece and a lecherous, slimy counselor. Again, I may be biased against this part of the movie because I'm a nerd and it's not in the book; be that as it may, I challenge you not to cringe at the overwrought melodrama (even for this movie) and bloody awful acting and dialogue in these scenes. There are a lot of other things I didn't like (did every background actor have to look like a bored male model?), but anyway I'll stop whining about it now. Just be warned, in case the inexplicable great reviews this movie is getting make you want to go see it.

2 Comments:

Blogger gwen said...

oh man, but i really wwant to go see it!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Jenelle Leanne said...

yeh, from what I saw in the previews (and the fact that I never even heard of the graphic novel until the previews)... pretty much gonna pass on this one... can't be as good as Gladiator was anyhow :-)

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home